The Importance of MAP Testing
This year the MAP test will be used for retention meetings and Pre-AP selection. Therefore, it is imperative that students do their best on the MAP test.
Students on Grades 6-8 must score in both Reading AND Mathematics NWEA MAP testing at or above the 10th percentile at least once throughout the current school year. Our campus may apply for a waiver for the NWEA MAP promotion standard (as low as 7th percentile) within our district.
If a student passes STAAR assessments in Reading and Mathematics then that student will be exempt from the NWEA MAP promotion requirement.
Pep Rallies- This Week
Title I and Parent Involvement Meeting
Parents there will be an informational meeting about Title I and Parent Involvement on Monday September 10th, 2018 at 5pm. There will be a free pizza party for all those who attend. If you plan to attend please RSVP by clicking the following link here.
Please attend if you are interested in learning more about how being a Title I campus affects the school or how you can become more involved with the campus. In an effort to increase school-parent communication and interaction, we invite all HSI-FW parents to complete the Parent Involvement Survey
GATE Nomination Has Started!
As you know, the primary focus of Harmony School of Innovation-Fort Worth is academics. In an effort to encourage all students to succeed academically, we will be reintroducing a Saturday program beginning the week of September 3rd called “ZAP” (Zeroes Aren’t Permitted).
Students who do not turn in assignments on time might be “zapped” by their teachers, requiring them to complete the assignment by Friday 4pm or attend the Saturday ZAP session. Students completing work after 4pm on Friday must check in and submit their work to the ZAP proctor, or will be counted absent and receive Saturday Detention. In the Saturday ZAP session, students will receive up to three uninterrupted and supervised hours to complete their missing work.
Upon completion, students will turn in their work to the ZAP proctor and be dismissed. The highest grade that can be received for a missing assignment will follow the assigning teacher’s grading policy. The purpose and intention of ZAP is to maximize academic achievement by encouraging students to take responsibility for completing ALL assignments. This will greatly reduce the number of zeroes and failing grades for missing work.
The ZAP program is…
● Every Saturday, from 9-12. Students are expected to arrive by 9am or they will not be allowed to enter.
● Academic in nature
● Used specifically to enforce a “no zero” policy for all assignments. Not completing assignments is unacceptable at HSI – Fort Worth.
The ZAP program is NOT…
● For behavior issues
● For making up assignments due to excused absences
If students turn in the missing assignment(s) to their teachers before their scheduled ZAP session, they will not be required to attend. Students should check with their teachers that all zapped assignments are turned in prior to missing the Saturday ZAP session, as students who fail to attend their scheduled Saturday ZAP session will receive Saturday Detention the following week.
The classroom teacher will notify zapped students of the missing assignments as well as the assigned ZAP date. The teacher will also contact parents via email or phone to inform them of the scheduled ZAP session.
Thank you for your assistance!
Harmony School of Innovation – Fort Worth
World Languages and Cultures Club!
Parents and Students,
Here is a glimpse of what our newest club that meets on Wednesdays from 3:30-4:10:
World Languages and Cultures: Learn a different language each month along with cultural aspects of countries that language is spoken in.
Email email@example.com to sign up today!
Schedule a Home Visit!
Teachers want to build strong relationships with our parents and students. One of the BEST ways to do that is to invite a teacher to your home visit. The next three weekends HSI is running a Home Visit Drive! Click here to schedule yours today!
After School Club News
Parent Volunteers Needed!
Learn to Play a Musical Instrument!
- come to the informational meeting on Friday August 31st at 5 pm.
- Stop by room 128 and place you name on the Sign-Up roster
- Speak with Mr. Hunter if you have any questions.
Door Decorating Contest
Why We Shouldn’t Ignore the Update Notifications
Let’s use Microsoft Windows as an example:
- Once Microsoft discovered a vulnerability (such as a backdoor) on Windows, the engineers will create a security update patch to fix it. As they release the update package, it starts bothering the users 🙂
- Hackers are able to reverse-engineer the security packages and learn the vulnerabilities. Then they scan over the internet and find the possible victims that haven’t installed the security package, yet.
- They use the backdoor to access those computers. They can steal the data from that computer or use it to attack others as well. Most of the time there is no way for the victim to find out his/her data has been compromised.
Stay safe and secure!
HSI Cyber Security Corner
Next month on the corner: What to Do When a Global Data Breach Happens